If you've read anything at all about Natural Language Processing (NLP), you'll probably know at least three things: NLP is an extremely exciting and useful task, NLP can be really, I mean really, complicated and building NLP systems can be absolutely, outrageously, often unaffordably expensive.
Ellogon is an effort that tries to keep all the excitement and reduce all the complexity... Ellogon is different from other similar software. First of all, it respects the user's time by offering a simple and user friendly graphical interface. But beneath this simple appearance a powerful engine is hidden, that has been proved to be able to support a wide range of uses, from simple research prototypes to commercial applications.
Ellogon is licensed under the GNU LGPL license, is easy to install and administer and is reliable. Running under all major operating systems, Ellogon offers a comfortable environment for computational linguists, language engineers or plain users.
- Based on a highly efficient specialised database, written in C.
- Extendible, Component based architecture: every aspect of Ellogon can be extended with user-supplied components.
- Components can be written in: C, C++, Tcl, Java, Python, Perl.
- Decomposable architecture: Ellogon parts can be used to form specialised applications.
- A large toolbox of corpora annotation tools.
- A large toolbox of generic and specialised information viewers.
- Runs on Unix (Linux, Solaris, etc.) and Windows (Me, NT, 2000, XP).